Monday 22 July 2013

An Unusual Treat for Parents...


“Sharma Uncle and Aunty are going to Singapore on a holiday for ten days”, I said excitedly serving breakfast on the dining table.
“Oye-hoye ! So this means that they are going on a honeymoon at this age”, my husband replied sarcastically taking his chair.
His answer was very common and many of us react the same way whenever we get to know about any aged couple going for a trip all alone.
Did we realize that we hardly get any such news about them going on a holiday alone?
During a telephonic conversation, I asked my mother, “Mumma, why don’t you and papa plan a foreign trip?”. To this she replied in a shocking tone, “Who, Me and your Papa, on a holiday, at this age. No beta, It would be a complete waste of money. The best option would be to give this money to our kids instead of spending on our trip.” Her reply made me so upset.
I still remember when my father got mine and my brother’s passport made, he was sure that sooner or later we will need it but at that age I couldn’t understand why they have not applied theirs.
Parents spent major part of their life in raising their kids, meeting their endless demands, fulfilling their all wishes and working whole life like some bonded labour. When they have performed their duties really well and made us capable to manage our life, they deserve the whole world, why a jolly time with their spouse should seem to them as a waste of money?
Sitting in an aircraft and going to a foreign destination must be a dream which they would have wished in their late 20s or early 30s, but their family responsibilities and related expenses would have made them hide or bury this desire in the deepest layer of their heart.
One thing which makes me feel proud of my husband is that he has gifted the very first international holiday, A Royal trip to Dubai, to his parents. When he was giving the tickets and package documents to them, I could actually notice some tears of happiness in their eyes.
While initially they had so many fears related to them going alone, food and language problem but soon I could easily spot the courage to face this new world all together again in them. Within just hours of this discussion, we all could see their rejuvenated spark, excitement, enthusiasm.
My Father-in Law told me that when he mentioned about this trip to his boss, he replied “You are definitely going to face many challenges there. I would suggest not go alone like this in this age.”
Few people discourage every bold move; they seem to have forgotten that ‘These Aged People’ have conquered all the challenges of life, all alone, why they would a companion or kids for some foreign trip.
I can visualize without even closing my eyes, how they would enjoy there, the joy they will feel while shopping, sight-seeing, clicking photographs, tasting different cuisines and most importantly being together all alone to see a new & unexplored world.
It’s not about spending money, it’s about the care we show towards the dreams of those who just lived and worked to make our dreams come true.
When Sharma Uncle and Aunty came back from their trip, they seemed so rejuvenated, glow was on their faces and they were so excited to share all of their experiences and wanted to show their shopping.
I wish and pray to God to give this privilege to my parents as well so that can also enjoy this different side of life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. - If you have ever thought of or gifted any unusual gift to your parents, do share it with us. Also, feel free to leave your valuable feedback.

2 comments:

We would love to see your feedback & comments :